ALL SPORTS CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
FOR HOME ACTIVITIES, INFORMATION ABOUT COVID-19 AND OTHER RESOURCES, CLICK THE "CURRENT RESOURCES" HEADER
Healthy @ Home
Special Olympics Ontario has been working on a number of initiatives to help keep athletes and the community social, active, positive, and informed. One of these initiatives is Healthy @ Home!
On the Special Olympics Ontario website, Special Olympics will be updating it's pages to:
- Stay Connected: How to connect with fiends, coaches, athletes, and Special Olympics Ontario while staying safe and social distancing
- Stay Active: How to stay active and fit at home, so you can keep healthy while activities are on hold
- Stay Positive: Here you can find tools and resources to support the mental health of the Special Olympics community, as well as yourself
- Stay Informed: Here you can find information about what COVID-19 is and what steps you can take to stay healthy and reduce the risk of those around you
A virtual calendar of events is also available on the Special Olympics Ontario website where you will find links to all the online activities that will be taking place.
Finally, you can find the Weekly Wellness Challenge here. This page, along with the others, is updated weekly, so make sure you check back to stay connected, stay active, stay positive, and stay informed.
Due to the circumstances of the COVID-19 outbreak, all activities will be suspended until March 31st. Until then, we encourage everyone to stay safe and practice good hygiene.
Spring Games Postponed
Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we will be postponing the Spring Games until further notice. Special Olympics and the Waterloo Regional Police Service believe this is the best option in order to keep everyone safe and healthy. Despite this announcement, we encourage all participants and members of the community to stay active throughout this time. More information on COVID-19 and resources on how to stay fit are provided below. Stay safe!
Resources for Athletes During COVID-19 Cancellations
During the upcoming weeks with all the activity cancellations amid the COVID-19 outbreak, we encourage all athletes to keep healthy and active. In order to do so, here are some resources to help get exercise while social distancing:
- eLearning Course: For anyone looking to learn the basic information about coronavirus and how to protect yourself. Follow the instructions on this PDF to register and complete
- Resources for Young Athletes:
- Fit 5 Resources Series: For anyone looking for short videos demonstrating athletic activities, you can find them here
- School of Strength: The School of Strength provides athletes with a fitness tracker, fitness videos, and a guide to healthy snacks
Medalists at Nationals
Congratulations to everyone who participated in the snowshoeing events at nationals in Thunder Bay this year! Everyone did a wonderful job and we are so proud of those who competed. Thanks to everyone who supported our athletes and everyone else who participated! Not pictured: Gaerrisen Freeland won gold in the 400 m race as well.
Andrew Johnston received a bronze medal in the 5 km run
Melissa Heubner received a silver medal in the 800 m race
Peter Snider and Gaerrisen Freeland gold and silver in the 100 m race
Peter Snider and Gaerrisen Freeland also received silver and gold in the 200 m